Sunday, January 27, 2013

Episode 2: Show Me Your Smile

Episode 2: Show Me Your Smile

This time around, the assignment is to take a photo of a smile, found in some unusual or haphazard way. As soon as I could, I started looking for smiles. Everywhere. Driving home I searched the streets and buildings, hoping to see something I never noticed before. Walking in my front door  and through my house I began to see my belongings in a new way. I got my camera out and started wandering through the hallways and rooms searching for something to catch my eye. The following pictures are the results.

Smile #1: Happy Little Bug

I have a little whistle shaped like a ladybug. I thought she would be happy inside the spider plant. Voila! She loves it. In order to get the ladybug's smile in focus and the rest of the plants out of focus I used the Automatic Depth of Field mode. Looking through the viewfinder I positioned the AF points on the ladybug's smile. I think this picture turned out interesting.


Smile #2: Happy Tabla Tambourine

The tambourine reminds me of a big toothless grin. The tabla are two of my favorite drums and listening to them always makes me smile.  I enjoy playing them but do not consider myself to be as good as I wish. It takes years for a person to master playing them.  I positioned the items in this picture to give a more visual interest and accents of color.  The frame in the back right has some of my most favorite keepsakes: a sticker of Janis Joplin, a print of young Bob Dylan, tickets from a Jimmy Buffet concert, and a B&W picture of an old VW Bug.  I used the P setting on my camera and adjusted the ISO and aperture to let in more light.  I wanted everything to be in focus, so unlike my previous picture, I did not use the Depth of Field setting. I really like the way this picture came out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment