Episode 1: The Horizon
So here we go. Assignment one: The Horizon.
At first I thought, rather foolishly, "This is gonna be soooo easy. I can totally do this. How hard is it to take a picture of a Horizon?" I've done it many, many times before and figured I could do it without any problem at all. Well let's just say that every time I've done it before was a time when the opportunity was right there in front of me. See a pretty sunset: take a picture. See the ocean waves: take a picture. But this time, I had to actually go look for it.
I had a place in mind and went there. Too many electrical lines that I had seriously never noticed before, plus it was raining. So much for that one. The husband (Jamy) was with me: "I know!" he says. So off we go, driving out a ridge to the top of a hill. That's where I got two really great pictures I have posted below.
At first I thought, rather foolishly, "This is gonna be soooo easy. I can totally do this. How hard is it to take a picture of a Horizon?" I've done it many, many times before and figured I could do it without any problem at all. Well let's just say that every time I've done it before was a time when the opportunity was right there in front of me. See a pretty sunset: take a picture. See the ocean waves: take a picture. But this time, I had to actually go look for it.
I had a place in mind and went there. Too many electrical lines that I had seriously never noticed before, plus it was raining. So much for that one. The husband (Jamy) was with me: "I know!" he says. So off we go, driving out a ridge to the top of a hill. That's where I got two really great pictures I have posted below.
The Horizon #1: Bare Branches
It was a dark, dreary, rainy day. I had my Canon camera set to P so that I could make the necessary adjustments. I set my aperture to let in more light and adjusted the ISO to 3200. I wanted to get the bare branches of the maple tree in the picture to offset their darkness against the brightness of the sky. The top of the hills were behind a shadow of fogginess from the rain clouds, which made the sharpness of the branches stand out more. This picture gives me a sense of bareness and crispness all at once. Overall, I really liked the end result.
The Horizon #2: Evergreen Pond
Near the top of the ridge the darkness had lessened. Therefore, I set my camera to a lower aperture than before to let in more light, yet kept the ISO at 3200. I was able to put more focus on the pond, leaving the horizon a bit unfocused in the background. I like the clouds and fog hovering near the dip in the valley. I love the reflection of the tree line in the pond and the evergreens framing the left side of the picture. Although the rain is not seen, it was coming down quite rapidly. So much, that Jamy (the husband) was on window duty. I got the shot and all necessary settings finalized, then with a word he would roll down the window, I would *snap snap snap* and he would roll it back up with the quickness of a ninja. This was a team effort at its finest.
No comments:
Post a Comment