For this week's assignment, we are to record an unedited video expressing Nostalgia. The dictionary defines nostalgia as "a wistful desire to return in thoughts or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time." When I think back to my youth and to happiness, I think of my time spent growing up on my grandparents' farm in Salt Rock, WV. My poppaw has always been a man of the earth: growing huge gardens, planting, raising, and harvesting all manners of plants and livestock. I helped shuck corn, feed cows, pick vegetables from the garden, strip tobacco stalks, ride on the tail of a truck while spreading hay, and ride the side of the tractor with my poppaw driving. These were the events of my childhood that helped shape the person I am today. I learned patience while trying to get the cows to eat out of my hand, confidence from planting and successfully raising gardens, and empathy from working hard to catch fireflies in a jar, just to let them free to fly away.
I have wonderful memories of riding on the side of a big green John Deere tractor with my poppaw at the wheel. I felt safe knowing he was there beside me, watching to ensure I did not fall off. Therefore, I ventured out to my grandparents farm this weekend and videoed the one thing that helps me be grounded. The John Deere tractor. It was a difficult trek to the barn, which involved mud boots with my pants tucked in, venturing through the cow pastures and foot deep mud/manure. My video shows the John Deere tractor that I rode on while a child, sitting solemnly inside the big red barn. The shot was difficult to keep from shaking, but I did my best. I tried to get the five types of shots, with an over the shoulder shot from the back of the tractor looking forward. After looking at the video from the safety of my couch, there are a few things I could improve upon, like the shaking, focusing for longer on certain aspects of the tractor, and focusing the camera better. I think when we start editing, the videos will be a lot better.
Link to my video:
John Deere
Bonus Pictures!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment